God Bless America!

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Where Do the Lids Go?

I don't know if there is anything that bugs me so much but this is one of my pet peeves: having small storage containers, like Rubbermaid or Tupperware, with NO LIDS! Where do they disappear to? What's the point in having something like 30 lids that don't fit the containers? Drives me nuts...Seriously, I am tempted to throw them all away and just get those new ones that have the lids that snap onto the BOTTOM when you store them.

Okay...so here's the rest of the "lid" story. It goes along with the old sheets, thread-bare towels and other such things. Might be hard for some folks to "get" this but I'll try to explain my perspective. Ya see, a lot of those little containers with no lids, or the many lids with no matching containers - they are not mine. Just like the old sheets and towels so worn you can literally see sunlight through them if you hold them up. They aren't mine. In my life, they are useless. They have no meaning, no purpose whatsoever. They take up space and I wonder when I see them "why are we keeping these"? But becausethey don't "belong" to me, I can't get rid of them. You see, these are momentos of someone who no longer walks among us. They are part of a past family life which I don't belong to. They are from the wife of my husband's youth, married to her for 20 years...the mother of his children. Constant reminders of who I am not, the role I will never fill, the place I can never take as my own. So I have a kitchen drawer full of containers and lids that don't match, old towels and sheets that hold their own shelf in the linen closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment