God Bless America!

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Why I Love Hammocks

You ever hang out in a hammock? I never really did until I bought one for Randy for our first anniversary. It was pretty cool, came with a metal frame so you could just put it wherever you wanted to. Wasn't tied to a tree. It was wide, big enough for both of us to get in it. Blue and white striped.

I never spent much time in that particular hammock. Not sure why, I guess maybe I felt like it was Randy's hammock and HE should be in it, not me. But then we moved. The backyard, which is pretty big since our lot size is over a half-acre, has a nice sized tree. Perfecto for putting a hammock under it. I started using it more and more and as the kids came home from missions, I would often see Elizabeth or Nathan out in the hammock.

Then one of the puppies, Joely, decided she wanted to try the hammock. I remember lying in it one day, lazily daydreaming. The next thing I knew I was almost flipped out onto the ground! Joely had jumped onto the hammock with me! Kind of funny but it gets better. I watched her jump onto the hammock while it was empty, certain she would flip herself right out of it. But she didn't! Somehow the little bugger was smart enough to figure out that this moving "blankie" could be stablized if she put all four legs out, kind of spread eagle. She often would jump up in the hammock after that. I think it was just fun for her.

Well, one thing I've missed a lot this summer...the hammock. Oh, the stand is still there and so is the tree. But last summer the hammock got broken. And I haven't replaced it. It almost seems like a luxury item now. It's not that much fun to just have it all to myself all the time anyway. Maybe it will get replaced so that next summer, I'll have the hammock back. And maybe next summer, Randy will be home to share the hammock with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment